Divide Fractions with Visual Models Included - Digital
Use visual models along with the standard algorithm to quickly and effectively teach your students how to divide fractions with this comprehensive digital resource pack.
Using visual models, students will have a more hands-on approach to “see” what it looks like when dividing unit fractions by whole numbers and dividing whole numbers by unit fractions in addition to using the standard algorithm. It’s great for kinesthetic learners as well as students that may struggle with memorizing algorithms.
A mini-lesson on dividing fractions by fractions (6th grade standard 6.NS.1) is also provided and can be used with students who quickly master dividing with unit fractions. Great for differentiation!
This resource is complete, concise, and easy to follow with a clear format. It is low-prep and easy to assign to a sub and contains engaging activities using Google Slides and Google Forms. If your students are struggling conceptually, this resource is for you!
Standards: 5.NF.7, 5.NF.7a, 5.NF.7b, 5.NF.7c, 6.NS.1
How Can You Use This?
Introduce each skill with the detailed set of notes and sample problems in Google Slides. I suggest doing this in a whole group setting and pulling the slides up on a Smartboard if you’re in person or share the screen online if you’re teaching virtually.
Gradually release students to practice independently using the practice slides. Check for understanding and mastery after teaching each skill using the exit tickets.
When all skills have been taught, assess with the final quiz when you feel students are ready.
What You Get
The Mini-Lessons Included:
- Fraction Notes Pages for Simplifying Fractions and Converting Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers
- Divide Unit Fractions by Whole Numbers with Visual Models
- Divide Whole Numbers by Unit Fractions with Visual Models
- Divide Fractions Using the Standard Algorithm
- Divide Fractions with Word Problems
What You’ll Get in EACH of the mini-lessons:
- Detailed Notes (Google Slides)
- Sample Problems (Google Slides)
- 1-2 Practice Activities (Google Slides)
- 2 Exit Tickets (Google Forms)
You’ll Also Get: