This unit contains three mini-lessons: multiplying decimals by whole numbers with visual models, multiplying by decimals by decimals with visual models, and multiplying decimals with area models.
This resource be used in two different ways:
- Whole group instruction to show how to use visual models to represent decimal multiplication (by whole numbers and decimals).
- This can be an intervention strategy for teaching struggling students who need a more visual approach to multiplying decimals by whole numbers and other decimals.
Task Tents™ are a fun way to get your students moving around while practicing, reviewing, and assessing their mastery on specific skills and standards. Students will move around with a partner answering questions on one side of the Task Tent™. They will record their answer and have it checked by their partner, who has the answer on the other side. Each pair will keep track of their correct answers and total them up at the end.
Standards Included: 5.NBT.7
What You Get
3 mini-lessons (Multiplying Decimals by Whole Numbers, Multiplying Decimals by Decimals, and Multiplying Decimals with Area Models) that include:
- a detailed page with steps on how to visually represent multiplication of a decimals
- practice page with answer key
- a blank practice page where they can make up their own problems to solve or trade with a partner to solve to extend the lesson.
- Quiz (2 versions - one with and one without area models
- 16 Task Cards for additional practice
- 16 Task Tents™ for review